Copyright (C) 2004-2009 by Andreas S. Krebs
NEW: Use JSGalBuilder for creating your own galleries!
- What is JSGal?
gallery that dynamically builds galleries without the need of any scripting support on the web server.
- Why did I write JSGal?
Because on my web site I used to have no PHP or any other server side scripting support,
however I still wanted to have a gallery with the functions provided by server based
gallery without the hassle of generating the gallery again everytime a image changes.
Nowadays I my side does have scripting support, but the AJAX approach used in JSGal provides
a far better user experience than any server side rendering based gallery - so I stick to it.
- What does JSGal look like?
See screenshot above or for a live demo of JSGal look at the Demo Gallery (from
a visit to the monastery of Maulbronn).
- What are the key features of JSGal?
- Zooming of images and thumbs
- Slideshow mode for automatic image viewing
- Support for automatic resize of gallery to fit in browser (no scrollbars!!!)
- perl script for adding images to gallery
- Small (~30KB + images)
- Support for switching between multiple galleries
- XML for gallery definitions
- Fast (client side rendering, optimal for slow network connections)
- Easy to install and maintain
- No scripting needed on server
- Easy switching between different styles
- State is stored in cookie so you can continue where you left
- Almost flicker free (except for delays caused by image loading)
- NEW: Mouse over image preview
- What browsers are supported by JSGal?
Since I myself nowadays only use Firefox this is the browser
which JSGal is developed and tested with. I more or less regularly test is with Opera and Konqueror, so
they should also work.
IE should work, however since I don't have any current windows version and rarely have to use windows nowadays :-),
I don't test it regularly - so if it's broken please let me know.
As for all other browsers: JSGal may work if they support DHTML and CSS - feel free to test them yourself.
- What web servers are supported by JSGal?
Since no server side scripting is required, JSGal can be installed on any web server or it can be
run from a local file system (e.g. a CDROM).
- Do you still want to know more about JSGal?
Well here is the README file.
- Do you want to try JSGal yourself?
Go ahead and download jsgal-0.83.zip or download JSGalBuilder a
easy to use GUI application for creating JSGal galleries.
The best of all it's distributed under the GNU General Public License (GPL) and is therefore absolutly free :-).
For more details see the GNU General Public License.
- What versions of JSGal are available?
- jsgal-0.83.zip released at 2009-02-24. (support for relative links in XMLs)
- jsgal-0.82.zip released at 2009-01-10. (new style and several minor bug fixes)
- jsgal-0.81.zip released at 2008-12-26. (preview support in IE, vertical scaling to fit browser window)
- jsgal-0.80.zip released at 2008-12-22. (new style sheet and image preview)
- jsgal-0.72.zip released at 2007-05-31. (minor bug fixes)
- jsgal-0.71.zip released at 2007-05-26. (several new rendering features)
- jsgal-0.70.zip released at 2005-10-15. (minor bug fixes)
- jsgal-0.69.zip released at 2005-08-21. (support for more browsers)
- jsgal-0.68.zip released at 2005-08-04. (zooming images and thumbs)
- jsgal-0.66.zip released at 2005-07-10. (bug with starting slideshow on current page)
- jsgal-0.65.zip released at 2005-06-22. (preload for next slideshow image)
- jsgal-0.64.zip released at 2005-06-04. (slideshow mode for automatic viewing)
- jsgal-0.60.zip released at 2005-01-09. (automatic resize of gallery to fit in browser window)
- jsgal-0.50.zip released at 2005-01-03. (multiple gallery and XML support)
- jsgal-0.40.zip released at 2004-12-29. (support for stylesheets and flicker free DOM modifications)
- jsgal-0.21.zip released at 2004-12-27. (fixed issues with DOM modification not working in IE)
- jsgal-0.20.zip released at 2004-12-17. (switch to DOM modification for faster page creation)
- jsgal-0.1.zip released at 2004-10-31. (initial release and proof of concept)
- Do you have any comments, styles sheets, scripts, extensions, ... you want to contribute to JSGal?
Feel free to send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.